13 Jun Advantages Of Dental Implants
Although dental care continuously improving, millions of Americans suffer tooth loss. According to National Center for Health Statistics more than 36 million Americans do not have any teeth, and 120 million people in the U.S. are missing at least one tooth. The most common cases of tooth loss: decay and gums disease, injury, cancer, or just wear. For a long time bridges and dentures were the only options for patients with missing teeth. Fortunately, development and use of dental implants gave us fantastic long-term option for restoring our smile.
Ancient dental implants have been traced back to around 600 AD, when tooth like pieces of shell were hammered into the jaw of a Mayan woman.
3 million people in the United States have implants; a number is growing by 500,000 annually.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are metal posts or frames that are surgically positioned into the jawbone beneath your gums to replace your tooth roots. When dental implants are placed in your jawbone, they bond with your natural bone. They become a sturdy base for supporting one or more artificial teeth, called crowns. A connector (abutment) is placed on top of the dental implant to hold and support your crowns that are made to match your natural teeth.
To become a candidate for teeth implants you need to have healthy gums and enough bone structure to support the implant.
Advantages of Dental Implants:
- Improved Appearance. Teeth implants look and feel like your own teeth. This is particularly important in the front of your mouth, where preventing a visible bone defect is crucial for natural appearance.
- Improved Speech. Missing tooth (teeth) may cause mumbling; poor fitting dentures cause teeth to slip within the mouth resulting in word slurring. Dental implants allow you to speak clearly and without the worry that teeth might sleep.
- Better Confidence and Restore Self-Esteem. Teeth implant help you feel better about yourself because you can eat, laugh and smile without reluctance, and be pain-free and worry-free.
- Durability. Teeth implants are very durable and will last many years. With correct care they often last a lifetime.
- Enhanced Oral Health. Dental implants don’t require reducing other teeth as tooth-supported bridge does, which means that remaining teeth won’t be damaged or compromised. The natural tooth structure that is lost can never be replaced. Because nearby teeth are left intact, teeth implant allow you to keep as many of your natural teeth as possible.
- Improved Overall Health. Better oral health improves overall health. Teeth implants lead to a healthier mouth and help reduce periodontal disease, that, if left unchecked and untreated can lead to heart attack, strokes, Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes and other chronic diseases. Dental implants will immediately improve the health of your mouth.
- Dental Care Easier with dental implants. Caring for an implant-supported crown is the same as for natural teeth: brush, floss, and visit your dental hygienist and dentist regularly.
Having missing teeth is not only embarrassing and very uncomfortable, but also is very unhealthy. Your mouth will deteriorate quickly if left untreated. Dental implants will improve your overall health and rebuild your self-esteem. If you have a missing tooth (or teeth), and considering a dental implant, call Dr. Lisi at Kids Pediatric Dentistry for a free consultation: 972-727-0011. We want to help you restore your confident beautiful smile!
Dental Implants Related Links: